Jinnah Sindh Medical University, formerly known as Sindh Medical College, is a medical university in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It received university status in June 2012.
Jinnah Sindh Medical University was formerly known as Sindh Medical College and was established on April 7, 1973 with the approval of a committee constituted by the Sindh government. In 1973, about 200 students entered the first year of MBBS. Khawaja Moin Ahmed was elected the first principal of the college. The college initially began work on the children’s ward at Jinnah Graduate Medical Center, a military camp since 1865, and moved to Jinnah Graduate Medical Center in 1959. Initially there were only three fields: anatomy (including histology), physiology, and biochemistry. Since then, departments of pathology, pharmacology, forensic medicine, and community medicine have created new disciplines. It also has new museums, laboratories and administrative buildings.
The University is fully accredited by the Higher Education Commission and the University Grants Committee (Pakistan). The university also has links to other medical institutions, such as the Jinnah Graduate Medical Center, the National Institute of Child Health and the National Institute of Cardiology.
In 2003, Cindy Medical College became part of Dow University Health Sciences. These courses, faculties and some other resources are also shared with other DUHS affiliated institutions, such as DMC (Dow Medical School) and Dow International School of Medicine. In late 2010, Jinnah enrolled at the Graduate Medical Center.