The University of Sindh is a public research university located near the city of Hyderabad in the educational city of Jamshoro in the Sindh province of Pakistan. It is one of the oldest universities in Pakistan and was certified by ISO in 2015. In 2013, the university was ranked eighth in the “General Category” by the Pakistan Higher Education Commission. Established in Karachi in 1947, the university was shifted to Hyderabad in 1951 and started functioning as a full-fledged teaching university there. The University is affiliated with four law faculties and various other faculties. Sindh University is known for its research in the fields of literature, natural sciences, philosophy and theology. The University is a member of the Commonwealth Universities Association of England.
After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, Punjab University was the only active university in the newly formed country, serving the developed parts of Punjab province. The province of Sindh came under the purview of Bombay University which became part of India. Therefore, Sindh needed a formal education center and the Provincial Legislative Assembly passed a resolution under Constitution 27, called the University of Sindh, to establish a new university in the then national capital Karachi. This law will be amended several times after 1961 and in the years thereafter. The 1972 Amendment allowed for the maximum freedom and faculty representation that the university currently enjoys.